View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
A lot of the time when I see people pointing out "plot holes" in movies and television it's at least partly a failure of imagination and demand for pat answers on the viewer's part. For instance, a couple weeks ago on The Walking Dead someone fell unconscious from a point blank shot to the ribs while wearing body armor and a helmet, and there was a lot of "Butbutbut it didn't hit him in the head!" Well no, but it was still the force of a truck hitting him in an area the size of a fist, and it doesn't take a medical degree or more than eight seconds' thought to work out how that could lead to a temporary shutdown. Because it's not a set trope like the good ol' knockout blow to the head (a near impossibility in the real world without doing more serious damage), it might bring to mind the question, "Could that blow knock a person out?" but a high school graduate should be able to answer that question in the affirmative without blowing any fuses.
It reminds me of one of Aesop's fables:

AT a country fair there was a Buffoon who made all the people laugh by imitating the cries of various animals. He finished off by squeaking so like a pig that the spectators thought that he had a porker concealed about him. But a Countryman who stood by said: “Call that a pig’s squeak! Nothing like it. You give me till tomorrow and I will show you what it’s like.” The audience laughed, but next day, sure enough, the Countryman appeared on the stage, and putting his head down squealed so hideously that the spectators hissed and threw stones at him to make him stop. “You fools!” he cried, “see what you have been hissing,” and held up a little pig whose ear he had been pinching to make him utter the squeals.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote