View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
I also tested an epub named "maldoror.kepub.epub" with the Sony, and it works without a hitch.

By the way, I examined the epub with the KT and the TR-1 and there are not so much widows/orphans or wasted space; at least not enough to call mom at home.

Actually, here is where rely the most intriguing thing with long paragraphs for me: according to davidfor there is a bug with the Kobo and long paragraphs (see post #11), but this bug is not apparent, in my case at least, when using the .kepub extension and "widows and orphans to 0 in css". Very strange!

Do we have double standards here?

Anyway, it's fascinating to discover that such small devices can deal with the humoristic and satirical intentions of a eccentric author of the XIXth, even if this is "distorted" with some widows and orphans.

Update: Too bad vampiregrave! I have no embedded fonts in my epub, not even a font family as the eReader can use it's default one. As the "epub.kepub" works with the Sony and you have to change only few parameters in the CSS, you do not have necessarily to create separate version. Of course, it is up to you to see if the game is worth the candle. By the way, is your epub passes correctly epubcheck or FlightCrew for example?
A "kepub" is a "Kobo ePub". It is the format that Kobo uses in their shop for direct download to their devices and apps. It is basically an ePub but with some extra formatting. The main thing you will notice is that it has spans around each sentence with a Kobo specific class and a sequential id. The ids are used on the device for bookmarking. There is also some javascript. Kobo also use a different DRM scheme that to the best of my knowledge hasn't been cracked.

The other important difference is that the Kobo devices use different renderers for epubs and kepubs. For epubs it is ADE, for kepubs it is Access or something like that. Kobo also support syncing the reading status and bookmarks for purchased kepubs to other Kobo devices and apps.

Changing the extension to ".kepub.epub" is a trick to get the devices to treat an epub as a kepub. It gets loaded on the device as an kepub and then is read with the kepub renderer. But nothing about it is synced to the server. Kobo do not officially support doing this and the only time I have seen them refer to it, they advised against it. Also, without the spans and ids, the bookmarks don't work. But, there are some scripts and a calibre driver that add the spans to a an epub to fix these problems./

As you found, there are differences between the two renderers. As ADE is used for epubs, it has the known errors. And that is why I questioned whether it is a Kobo specific bug or more general ADE issue. The kepub renderer uses WebKit. So, you get all the features and bugs of that. It also supports ePub 3, RTL languages and Japanese.

I'm curious about where you got "maldoror.kepub.epub". Kobo's kepubs usually have no extension and what looks like GUID for the name. I haven't seen them anywhere else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote