Thread: Agatha Christie
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Interesting. I know she wrote some in other historical periods (based I'm sure on her travels with her 2nd husband Max) but I always thought they were pretty much set in the early 20th century.
A lot of people don't realise that many of her works are set relatively late in the 20th Century. This is partly the fault of many recent cinema and TV adaptations that always show her world as that of the 1920s and 1930s - presumably because flappers, jazz, art deco architecture and steam trains are all more photogenic than their modern equivalents.

One thing I find annoying is when we see Marple and Poirot travelling around southern England in steam trains. TV and cinema love to show steam trains, even though the railways in question were actually electric from the late 1920s.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote