View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #484
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I try to have a nuanced view of design choices. That is difficult to express when you are talking to people whose view of the world is black-and-white.

Like any design choice, we can assign this one pros and cons.

PROS:
- cheap, swappable storage

CONS:
- compromises on size or shape of device
- AND/OR compromises on internals of device, i.e. battery life, heat dispersion, etc.
- increased complexity of device; need to introduce file system (currently absent in iOS)

So when someone claims the absence of SD storage comes down to greed, it's not only reductive but also unintelligent. Certainly, Apple makes its biggest margins on storage upgrades. That is one reason why the option is not available. It is not the only one, and it is particularly mendacious of a professed electronics designer to say so.

There is also the issue of the general anti-Apple bias that runs throughout these forums, where members excoriate Apple for practices which others engage in without comment. When that bias is pointed out, it's called a rant. So be it.

The point of calling something price gouging is to be pejorative. It doesn't describe an economic reality, nor does it provide any insight into consumer value.

The fallacy of your line of thinking here is that you assume competitors offer an equivalent product with extra features for less than Apple. The reality is that they offer a different product, with different design choices, many of which people consider inferior to Apple's value proposition.

And as pointed out above, in some cases (Nexus line), they do not offer a SD storage option at all. Where is the rage? Whither the accusations of greed?

I really don't care about Apple's corporate success, except to the extent that I want Apple to continue producing high-quality devices and useful services for them. I wrote that last paragraph because of the sheer ridiculousness of citing a lone survey to imply that Apple is doing badly or suffering because of its business practices. You have to be pretty deluded to think that the world's most valuable company is shooting itself in the foot with its business strategy. If I had $1 for every time I read on mobileread that Apple was going to fail because of greed, or because Steve Jobs died, or because they stopped innovating, I'd (almost) be able to afford an iMac. The meme is stupid.
You are responding to me but you are taking bits and pieces from several people as if we are one.

Here's the bottom line. It is my opinion that the main reason Apple has non-removable storage is greed. I base that on the large overall profit margins on their hardware, which far exceed any other mobile device manufacturer. I stated early on that I don't feel it is the only reason. And I and others also stated we don't support Google doing it either. Yet you chose to act as if that was never said. Why?

If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. It is after all an opinion and by no means an indisputable fact. So long as you read all of what I actually wrote instead of forcing pieces into the anti-Apple stereotype you like to argue about while ignoring the pieces that don't.

Last edited by pl001; 11-15-2012 at 05:56 PM.