View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
I tried again to see if I could revive it. I charged the battery (using a bench power supply, set to 4.1V, current-limited at 150mA) for about an hour last night. (I would have left it longer, but at the same time I didn't want to leave it over night.) It looked like the battery retained some charge, as the terminal voltage rose from 3.6V to 3.74V. However, this morning it was down to 3.55V (I left the battery in the kinde.)

My guess is that there's some short-circuit somewhere that drains the battery faster than the internal charging-circuitry can charge it. I have had a look at the accessible parts of the PCB, but I can't find any tin-whiskers, dust-motes or anything like that. I might try to flush it clean with compressed air and-or PCB cleaner, to see if that dislodges something. But if that fails I think I've got a broken PCB on my hands.

At the same time, I'm less and less inclined to spend much more time on it, as my Paperwhite should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote