View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I am about half-way through, and am juggling Amelia and Virgil at the moment!

I agree absolutely about the wonderful, detailed descriptions, and the fascination in hearing what the monuments were like back then, half-buried in sand. A couple of random notes I have made as I read:

* I loved the humour in the description of the multitude of men, boys and donkeys on the bank. But of course to the Egyptians, it was a chance to earn a bit of money and so very serious.

* The prostrate colossus of Rameses the Great and Memphis being only "barren mounds among the palms". I wonder if it was this sight that was the inspiration for Shelley's "Ozymandias"? (Probably everyone knows that poem, but if not, it's worth googling - very powerful.)

* Her description of a camel train which to her was picturesque but to me is horrifying,
as 70 camels were carrying 14 foot elephant tusks, packed in half-dozens, one pack on each side, which would represent about 420 big elephants having been slaughtered. That isn't a criticism of her of course as it was seen as perfectly acceptable to kill elephants for the ivory, but to us it is shocking - an example of how perceptions change over time.

* And I must add how much I am enjoying the beautiful and detailed illustrations too.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote