View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
I really don't think I will be upgrading to 708. To many readers dying

So Harry I beg to differ..

Can somebody say how much readers died after upgrading to 708... I've seen lot's of problems in many different threads here I'm afraid... I'm realy not amused with al the bad news about 708
Okay...

When I took out the SD card - and removed the battery - I broke through the boot-reboot cycle. I then, from the PC without using the Cybook, moved all the ebooks off the SD card and re-formatted it to FAT32.

I then placed the update_kernel from *this* zipfile http://bookeen.free.fr/bin/CybookGen...nelb708fmt.zip onto the SD card and did a re-flash of the firmware. Now this is Build 708. But unlike the generic one, this build is HUGE (16MB) and does some sort of formatting before installing itself.

That appears to have solved the problem on my Cybook (512MB variant which I received as a "replacement" just two weeks ago).

But I want to make clear that I had been *USING* a 1GB SD card that I had formatted to FAT32. I had also just completed moving 4 ebooks over to the card - with the card in the Cybook - and had done a Safely Remove Hardware prior to disconnecting the Cybook. So this appears to be a very serious bug which can occur despite taking all the precautions we've been discussing here.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote