View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #47
Marj
Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But that's the problem, Justin (and I mean no offence by saying this); self-publishing is all well and good, but readers can get a poorer experience as a result. If I were to buy your book, would I find phrases like "turn the world on it's head" in it? That why editors are so important.
Not always. I think sometimes they too freely make changes. Even changing the position of commas and dropping italics from words that were meant to be emphasised changes the meaning of a sentence sometimes, even when it's only a subtle change of meaning. An editor does not know the nuances that a writer wants to convey, and can ride rough shod over a carefully worded MS.

If I have any editor touching one of my books again, I want one that knows more than I do, and only makes suggestions, not changes.

Last edited by Marj; 03-12-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Marj is offline   Reply With Quote