View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It takes me on average about 8hours to read a book. A re-read is likely to be 8 hours where I can guarantee a certain level of pleasure. It'll usually involve anticipation of favourite scenes or characters. It may be slightly less due to familiarity. Also recently I've re-read a few books that I haven't read for 20+ years and whilst they were fun I'm not sure how much I expected to enjoy them was how much I actually did, because memory is unreliable and tastes change over that period.

A new read is always a risk. You might get 8 hours of pleasure of 8 hours of ho-hum or worse. I rarely give up on a book if I've started it so I guess that affects it too.

I've often thought if I were a faster reader then I'd be more experimental in my choices.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote