View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
For me, reading a book I haven't read before is more pleasurable than reading one I have. Since reading takes a large investment of time, I'd rather explore new territory.

* there are exceptions and I have a few very favorites I'll re-read, but they number less than a dozen.
Ah, so you do reread after all.

As many have pointed out, sometimes you want a fun reading experience without the risk of a letdown; what better want to one than a known-good book? A comfort read.

But there are other reasons, too.
People change over time; experience, perception, mood.
As the article points out, a lot of us reread to re-examine the material, look at it from a different perspective, see if it still offers the same experience or if there are new insights to be found from our older point of view.
Time colors memories and revisiting familiar experiences can be an exploration of self as well as the material. The researchers found a lot of that being done *consciously*.
That I found most interesting.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote