Thread: 903 PB 912 hands on
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Cruzverde
Cruzverde began at the beginning.

Device: PB 912
@jedd

Thanks for your reply.

For the tagging system, yes apparently PB 912's tags won't match Calibre's labels. I agree on the too short list of recently read books. Following your advice, I gave a try to he 'favorite' menu, which indeed is very nice, I think I'll start 'favoring' books.

The asian fonts matter. In the meantime, I managed to get some books in ePub format : after adding japanese fonts in /system/fonts (and renaming them to ttc), I am able to read my books, but in «horizontal» mode (usually, japanese books are to be read «vertically», which was the case with the pdf files I was trying to read). So it's not the best, but it works. I may also have found the issue with the original pdf files : text there is encoded in SHIFT-JIS (and not in the more common UTF-8), so I guess the PB firmware cannot deal with that at the moment.

I noticed something strange though, with reading epub files. Sometimes I get a nice layout with antialiased fonts. And some other times, often after a PC synchronization, the epub files open differently, the layout is much simpler, font aspect is ugly... but I get to be able to chose the font used (via the parameters menu), which was not possible in the previous mode (the 'parameters' icon was not in the menu, then). And then, sometimes, it switches back to the first mode. I do not understand why. Chosing «open with AdobeReader / FBviewer» does not affect this behavior. I suspect the PB is «locking» itself in using one of the two applications, and switches from onte to the other on syncing, which gives those two alternated layouts. But I can't confirm. I'll try to make snapshots and start a new thread if it happens again.

The thumbnails : yes, that's a pity, and I think I wanted to believe it would work for ODDFs as well ! But since the upgrade to 2.1.2, the file browser layout can be set in «list» mode, with a nice access to sorting modes by author/series..., and much more readable info on the file fitting on one line (% of reading, favored or not, size, format) so I'll deal with that.

For the fields of interest : I came to logic through metaphyics. Logic is not my main concern, but I was once a mathematician, so keep studying it as a hobby. But it can be useful, as it teaches you to check that you don't make mistakes in your reasoning. And it can also help, when it comes to matters of contingence and necessity (with modal logic), which occur frequently in speaking of God. I actually do believe that natural theology (or «philosophical theology», or «an account of God without using any revelation like the Bible, but only your brain») can do much for theology. But I acknowledge that this opinion is not mainstream... Especially in the Catholic Church, and especially here in France. Well, I'm going off-topic !

I'll go back to reading on my PB 912. I must say I'm loving it, it's really a revolution in my accessing printed matters. I was afraid I would lose some features such as «search a word» or «access the TOC» which I used frequently on the computer, but it does work swiftly on the PB 912. I'm literally delighted.
Cruzverde is offline   Reply With Quote