View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
You made some excellent points.

I really like Google products but their execution and follow up is almost always lacking. They could have helped iriver make this product a success and chose no to.
I like my device, too - it was supposed to temporarily replace a broken e-reader, but I decide not to return it. Got used to little quirks in the design and software implementation. As for the poor zoom - it actually makes sense when you are able to center each pdf. page separately.

As for the Google books:

- the search engine is horrible - strange why? since the Google Web search engine is considered superior.
- Google epubs are full or errors. I stopped downloading them - download either pdf or go directly to Gutenberg.org where the same books, as I found are much more reliable.

Therefore I found Wi-fi on the device largely useless - except the supposed online upgrades and maybe occasional E-mail check in places where you don't have other means (which is unlikely when a smartphone or iPod is ubiquitous)

I wish a future firmware upgrade would make it more useful - e.g. enable borrowing from a library, etc.

Still, the screen is superb, buttons more or less convenient, file opening and page turning very good (although they claim djvu but it fails most of the time, maybe it's only me)
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote