View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #157
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The TOC-first-level-only issue is worse than I thought it would be. Some books have only the NCX TOC (reasonably enough); there's no HTML TOC at the front of the book that you could use as an alternate. Navigating top level 'sections' is pretty worthless. And it isn't just computer books we're talking about, 'Pride and Prejudice' has a 2 level TOC.

I was hoping to use Nook for my O'Reilly computer book collection because of somewhat better formatting and ability to more easily navigate hyperlinks (than my Kindle). But at least the ePub version of the book I'm looking at has no HTML TOC. So effectively there is no TOC, since Nook won't show the entire NCX TOC. There are 80 or more pages between each top level TOC item. In this case there's a workaround: since they are DRM free, I can write a script to flatten the TOC. But they need to fix this.
I am with you on this one. I hope B&N update the firmware for multi-level TOC, plus the issue with the reader losing the page when connecting to the PC. If you have to go back to the last read page, and your TOC is missing all the level 2 and below items, it can be a royal PITA.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote