View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
kveroneau
Edge User

Question enTourage eDGE/Pocket eDGe battery care best practices

As a portable device enthusiast, I have read many different articles and manuals relating to proper care of a devices battery to extend it's overall life. The thing is, every device says something completely different...

My laptop, for example, says it is alright to keep it plugged in all the time, but at least once a month allow the battery to completely deplete and re-charge to extend the batteries life. In the Toshiba Satellite user guide. Since I really hate keeping a battery connected to an AC source for 8-10 hours a day, I disconnect the battery from the laptop if I plan on keeping it plugged in for extended periods of time.

My android cell phone, unfortunately will not boot up, if the internal battery is removed. It goes into the recovery mode screen telling me to insert the battery. So, in this effect, I never keep my cell phone connected to the AC once it's fully charged. I also never plug my phone in until the battery is less than 10%. I'm not completely sure if this is the right way of doing things, but the battery seems to be working the same as it did a few months ago when I received the phone.

Now, onto the eDGe. I did not see anything in the documentation on proper battery care best practices. After the eDGe's battery is fully charged, is it alright to keep it connected to an external source and continue using it like a normal laptop/netbook? Or after it reached 100% charge, to unplug the power adapter? Which of these would extend the batteries life time? Since I have the pocket edition, this is a rather crucial question, as the battery cannot be swapped out easily. Can I begin charging the eDGe at any point in it's depletion cycle? Or should I wait until the battery is below a specific percentage?

Currently, I unplug my eDGe as soon as it reaches 100%, and only begin to charge it when it hits about 12% or so. For the moment, the battery appears to be lasting just as long as it did when I first purchased the unit, but is this going to last?

How is everyone else's battery charging habits for their various portable devices and how well are those batteries lasting since you purchased your devices? From a scientific standpoint, what is the recommended way to treat portable device batteries? That is to say that people on these forums have worked or still work with a company which manufacturers portable device batteries.

Thank you all for any input you can provide that will help me and others save battery cells all around the world!