View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
... I know in Windows you can create a mount point for one drive as a folder on another driver. Since this is an ancient Unix feature, I'm sure Linux can do it, too, so it's just a matter of enTourage providing this in a software update.
The link idea will not work on the edge given the way internal and external storage arecurrently set up. Ideally, we should be able to do ln -s to create a symbolic link in the internal storage that points to the SD card. However, it turns out that the internal storage is a vfat file system image file mounted using the loop device. Since it is vfat, a unix symbolic link that Linux/Android could follow cannot be created. Tried it. Failed.

I'd guess the next choice would be to recreate the internal storage image file using a unix/linx ext filesystem. The edge-specific programs seem awfully attached to the internal storage. I'm not sure how well they would take to a reformat and empty directory. I'm also not not sure if the device mounting at boot time is welded to mount as vfat. If mounting at boot time is done wrong, and the drive fails to mount, and there are boot utilities that require the drive to be mounted then the edge startup could be hosed.