View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #141
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookpal View Post
Hi,
I find a need to improvize the following plugins in the calibre to make it even greater!...
As only the last of the three plugins you mention is UI related you would probably have more success asking your question in the main forums rather than this thread. The Edit Metadata dialog / Add books actions are indeed triggered from User Interface plugins.

IMHO I think you are in for a tough road with the sort of changes you want to make unless you only intend to make them to your own source code for your own use. I believe they require extremely non-trivial changes to Calibre to implement, and if you want them to be available to other users by submitting as a patch then you will also have to get Kovid to agree to them first. If that is your goal then I would suggest you begin a dialog with him by opening feature request tickets in the bug tracker for each and seeing what he thinks of your ideas.

If on the other hand you just want to play with learning Python and tweak the program to your needs then by all means go for it. However I would suggest you might be in for a world of hurt with regards to merging in enhancements the Calibre developers themselves make in those areas over time.

User created plugins work great for adding new functionality, such as supporting a new xxx feature, device, source, output, etc. However while the features you want to change are indeed implemented as "plugins" within Calibre they are so core to Calibre they have considerable additional suporing infrastructure and I would suggest are not designed to be "end user replaceable". That is not a criticism of the Calibre code, it is just the nature of what those features are and the issues you would face with trying to write in such a way that your own plugins could be made available as a download (like the ones in this thread) to "replace" the Calibre provided ones.