View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
1. You do not HAVE to read PDF's in landscape mode

2. The text will be displayed larger in landscape mode

3. As to the question of how big the text is in a PDF, well, it depends on how the original PDF was formatted. Any other answer is simply not accurate.

4. As to how do A4 PDFs look on the iLiad, again, it depends on how the original PDF was formatted. For example, many PDF files have huge white space borders with small fonts. These will look completely different from a PDF with a small border and large fonts. Any other answer is simply not accurate.

5. I equate page turns to roughly the same page as turning a paper book (a tinsee bit longer), when you account for a casual page turn, and allowing your eyes to focus on the next sentence and your mind to focus on what you are reading. I would never trade the conveniences of the iLiad for a real-world-no-difference page turn issue. Disclaimer: Where you will get frustrated is if you are turning several pages in a row to try to find something, or frequent changes between documents.

6. The iLiad provides many tools to try and optimize the viewing of PDF files, including, zoom area, and landscape reading, and you can also try reformatting particularly bad PDF files.

One of the main reasons I purchased the iLiad is to hold all of my manuals (I am a sys admin), and if there is one area where you will find a wide assortment of PDF formatting, it is in manuals for tech products. Odd paper sizes, odd margins, font sizes all over the place, using light blue for text (an Apple favorite), etc. All of these factors go into your PDF experience.

Here are some nooby answer to questions you did not ask:

1. By far the biggest issue I have with my iLiad is the lack of a find feature at both the OS level and the PDF reader level. Makes all of this great info I could potentially have at my fingertips for all practicality, non-existent.

2. I have not found a product better than the iLiad for reading PDF's, including my laptop. My laptop is just not a comfortable device to hold when reading for long periods, takes longer to boot, requires power cables for extended reading, is hot, and is much harder on the eyes. (but it does give me search, and has a VERY high resolution view of the material! Disclaimer: I have not tried a tablet PC, but I can't lower myself to use Windows.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote