View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #22
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Cool It always amazes me...

How there are folks who feel they must turn a discussion into an attack.
Everyone has their own preferences and it's OK to have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Warranties are a rip-off.
...You're spending $30 to MAYBE get $60.
...Paying 25% of the price of an item to have "just in case" coverage is really not very wise.
The math stated above is flawed.

It is a $150 device and the offer is for a 3 year period, at anytime during which they'll arrange to fix the device, or merely send the entire amount so you can replace it (which is what that service has done for me).
The correct number would be 20% of the total - but if you divide it per year instead it is more like 6-7% per year, your choice.
BUT - if the unit goes flooey after even 2 years and it is not a battery problem, you'd get ALL $150 back - a pretty darn good deal, wouldn't you agree ?

And as I have said of myself, not just everyone is in any shape to run out and buy a NEW thingy just anytime the urge strikes them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But that assumes you'll be using it for three years. I've never used any reading device for three years. There's always something better coming along which tempts me to upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That's why I'll never buy an extended warranty. If something breaks after the normal warranty ends, I'll probably would want to buy a new device anyway. And the breaking will give me an excuse to do so!
And given that for no obvious reason whatsoever my JB simply quit on me DAYS after it's MFG. warranty ended - and for which I had paid $20 against the possibility of the $170 device going bad, and it will pay off in FULL (when it does) - that really means that if you add the $170 I paid to the current JB price of $130 that the measly $20 I spent could be more like a way to get $300 value because otherwise I would have needed to spend that much in total.

So impose your own POV and use your own discernment in these matters, and by all means swat at me verbally ALL you want, but I repeat:
For small - handheld - electronic devices of recent vintage these extended warranties are a GREAT IDEA......in MY opinion.

Yes - it is just MY opinion and it's fine by me if you want to disagree.
At the same time I respectfully suggest that discussion boards are best used to support one another in whatever it is that brings us here, so posting cutting remarks, or flaming anyone is very much against what this sort of place is here for to begin with.

Peace out.

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote