View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
audeojude
Connoisseur
audeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshes
 
Posts: 52
Karma: 14170
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: kindle 1
Hmm. I really don't understand how the font system interacts with applications. The apostrophe's are not straight like what I am typing now in Don't and apostrophe's. It is more of a curl or dot with curled tail coming down or up depending on whether it is the first or second apostrophe.

I just used some in a libre office document and they look the same. though there isn't a unexpected space after the curled ' .

In calibre if I manually remove the space and ' then when I put the apostrophe back in it is a straight up and down like like I have been typing here in this post.

I'm really uncertain how to approach this. I'm feeling like it is probably some weird system interaction with some setting on my system but the only thing that seems to be having this issue is calibre as I import books or maybe as I update metadata.

Ok I have been playing with it see what is happening and where. In importing metadata using cntrl-d or download metadata function from amazon where it displays correctly on amazon it will import into a book description with the erroneous space after the apostrophe. I also copied and pasted the same text it imported automatically and it added the space in calibre. The same text still in the clipboard buffer pasted into libre office correctly with no space.

If you have any suggestions of things I could try I'm willing to give it a try. I used the gnome tweak utility to change fonts for the system and restarted calibre but am still seeing same behavior even after system fonts in windows and text etc changed. Normally I would have done a bit more troubleshooting myself but as much experience I have in most other areas I don't really know where to attack this one.

any help would be appreciated. Like I said it's not a terrible omg problem but I have hundreds of books with any word with an apostrophe in metadata displaying incorrectly and the only option at this point is manually correcting them.

ok, I just had a horrible thought and went into the body of a book i imported yesterday from amazon and the issue shows up in all the text of the body of the book if viewed in the ebook viewer that is part of calibre. I converted the azw3 to epub and mobi and still shows up in the calibre ebook viewer. Then I downloaded the bookworm ebook viewer and the epub and mobi formats that I just made of that book show correctly in it.

I'm baffled but now after this I am trending back toward a calibre thing but honestly as I stated before it's beyond my troubleshooting abilities. I hope that I was able to clearly describe the troubleshooting steps I have taken clearly for you. If it is unclear don't feel bad saying "hey dude be more clear!" and I will try again.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote