View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #49
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $1.99 from assorted HarperCollins imprints in Canada & presumably also the US (redeemable for points @ Kobo, should be the same price in all the other retailer stores):
  • Don Quixote the 17th century Spanish classic by Miguel de Cervantes, in the recent translation by Edith Grossman, which the Wikipedia page for the novel quotes praise for this particular translation from the late notable Mexican author Carlos Fuente, whom Wikipedia says was often considered to be a potential Nobel Prize candidate.

I had a peek inside the sample, and it comes with a translator's note and a couple of introductory essays (usually best read after the novel, as I got spoilered for the resolution of the love triangle in Ivanhoe by a passing mention in the introduction to the B&N Classics edition; years later I haven't actually read the novel and still don't know what else happens in the plot, but I sure remember exactly whom he married ). Plus it looks like there are also footnote explanations for stuff in the actual text. All in all, a really nice-looking edition.
  • The Essential Rumi: New Expanded Edition containing selected poems by the 13th century Persian poet and scholar (Wikipedia), translated (or in Wikipedia's words, interpreted since he apparently doesn't speak/read the original language) by Coleman Barks, who is himself a poet.
  • Beaches by Iris Rainer Dart (Wikipedia), her contemporary literary fiction 1950s-80s period novel about a lifelong friendship between two women, which was turned into the hit movie with Bette Midler in it.
  • The Stepford Wives by the late Ira Levin (Wikipedia), his classic psychological suspense thriller cum societal satire which was the basis for the cult sfnal movie(s) and the ensuing trope.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-28-2017 at 01:10 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote