View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
@yifanlu, it's not a secret. See my how to: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=577761#577761
Someone named "David West" emailed me this. It's to find your password using the serial number. I don't know if he minds me posting it, but he does, contact me and I'll remove it.

Quote:
I've been studying the recovery-util with objdump, hoping to find a backdoor way to enable full MMC0 usb export without having to go through the serial port. I didn't find such a way, but, I think I've got a working command line to generate a password from a serial number:

$ python -c 'import hashlib,sys;print "fiona%s" % hashlib.md5("%s\n" % sys.argv[1]).hexdigest()[7:11]' B00XXXXXXXXXXXXX
fiona828b

Can you confirm if this method works for you? (I don't yet have a k3w or serial adapter with which to try yet.)
I also believe that the following MAY be the root password on linux:

Code:
python -c 'import hashlib,sys;print "fiona%s" % hashlib.md5("%s\n" % sys.argv[1]).hexdigest()[7:10]' B00XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Again, I would like to get my hands on one of those serial plugs for the Kindle. Any details, OP?

Last edited by yifanlu; 05-27-2011 at 08:04 AM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote