Thread: iLiad Ruby 1.8.5 for iLiad
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
The best situation would be if we had enough storage to store the apps internally. But as this isn't the case we have to find a workaround. IMO storing all external apps in a single location and linking this to /usr/local/ is a good trade-off.

I think this topic is important when we think of the new iLiad OS. In future "visions" I see a centralized package management system for the device, and things have to be standardized then. So do you have any other idea how to solve these problems?
I agree it's an important topic: install procedures must be standardized in order to avoid one package corrupting another.

What would work is a symlink from /usr/local to /mnt/free/local: that's internal memory, and it has 100+ MB free if you don't use it for books. Of course this would have to be done before installing the first package to /usr/local, and leave it alone thereafter...

Maybe we can make a 'dummy' package iliadlocal.ipk that creates this link (and tests carefully if this succeeds), and let all other packages depend on this one? Or, for now, just create the link manually and hope for the best...

Maybe some other experienced installers have some good idea's? I'm a bit new to the Iliad installer business...
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote