View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 11:59 AM   #19
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
QUOTE:
Gmail is not designed to innundate you with ads. It displays 5-6 "relevant" text ads next to your emails. It does not embed them in your emails. Gmail is very usable. You say theres nothing which beats Yahoo but dont try other things. Nice.

I'm not saying you shouldnt use Yahoo. Decent POP and IMAP boxes are hard to come buy these days and IMAP is certainly a service i'd consider paying money for. But you've delibretely smeared Gmail by saying its scary that it scans your emails. When you now appear to agree that it isnt.

This isnt just directed at brahamt derekweb made a contribution to this nefarious image of Gmail as spying on its users too.
----------------------------------

First. Let me clarify. I didn't smear anything. I voiced my opinion about Advertisements IN ANY FORM. I don't care if it's embedded, Pop-ups, or anything else that the Ad Industry would care to coin a phrase for. ALL ADS ARE INTRUSIVE.

Yahoo does not throw ads at me. GMail would. It's that simple for me. It's not a smear, and by your own words, you've also stated this to be fact.

As for not trying other services.... hmmm. Tell me. How many, exactly, would I have to try to get you to back off on that claim? How's this for a list? Is this enough for me to have tried other services besides just Yahoo or am I still closed minded? I'm going to clarify here: FOR ME, Nothing as yet beats Yahoo. That includes GMail, which has components that even on principle that I oppose.

Netscape.net
stargatesg1.net
hotmail.com
yahoo.com
comcast.net
sprintpcs.com
<work domain editted out>

There are more, but I refrain from going digging in my records for those domains, since they are not really used anymore after my test/trial. While I do not particularly have ANY interest in trying GMail myself, let me again say that if it suits other people to do so, please do so. No one thing is great for everyone. An idea might be suited for everyone (ie: Web Browser), but an actual particular technology is much more hard pressed to be so universal.

One last thing in my own defense. I have never, EVER claimed that GMail is scary, and to say that I have made a contribution to saying that even is quite incorrect. I expect better out of good discussions. You're more than just intelligent, which means that I also expect from you, better arguments and more accuracy in your statements ... especially when you're doing finger pointing at someone.

Also. Everyone in this thread has CONTRIBUTED to this thread. Including you. One thing you have done is be very specific on the good points about GMail, and for that I would think that everyone is pleased. I think it's great that GMail has enough points on the good side to get peoples' attention. It definitely isn't a service that will die of obscurity.

Finally. As I've said before (and others have as well)... no one service is for everyone. Marketplace competition is great for us, the endusers/consumers. GMail simply ups the Ante. and in this respect, I fail to see how that is bad.
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote