View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think this is a great way to get started...and by all means, keep going! but at some point you probably should do yourself a favor and try other methods of writing to see which one fits you best.

There are two ends of the spectrum, discovery writers like myself, and the planners that strictly outline, and plan out everything. Here are two examples:

Orson Scott Card plans everything out in advance, crafts a summary of the novel, and can even tell you the rough word count, before he starts. Very regimented and planed out.

Steven King does not know how the story will play out, or end when he starts. He speaks of "being surprised" about what he characters do, and who wins in the end.

(BTW - buy and read his book On Writing)

Where YOU fail along that spectrum is something you need to discover along the way. Personally, as a discovery writer, I write iteratively. Meaning, I write 2-5 chapters, and then go back to page one and start editing. Then I write 2-5 more chapters and repeat. My stories grow as I go. I do not have any outline, but anyone that have read my books will tell you even four novels in they flow as if they were following a well planed route.

Plenty of the vocal posters on this forum fall more in to Orson Scott Card's camp of working better through well planed outlines (or mind maps, or other favored planning tool). Most fall someplace on the spectrum between the too extremes. Mind Maps are a great option for many that allows them to plan in a more dynamic method then Outlines seem to allow (even though under the covers a Mind Map IS an outline).

The key is to find what works best for you, and what you enjoy most. Then go with that.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote