View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #41
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Yes, that's why I more I study this language, the less I become confident on how to use it properly. For example, I still don't know whether it is:

"Thank you for your invite." or "Thank you for your invitation."

I was taught at school "invite" is a verb, but now it's also used as a noun.
"Invitation" is standard; "invite" (as a noun) is more informal. Almost...flippant, maybe.

Since "Thank you for your..." is somewhat formal, I would tend to use "invitation." But "invite" isn't wrong. For "invite," I would tend to say "Thanks for the invite!"

There is also (I think) a subtle difference between "Thank you for *your* invitation" and "Thank you for *the* invitation," with "your" expressing maybe more thanks and being a little more personal as well.

I think that "Thank you for the invitation" is probably more common. But if you are declining the invitation, "Thank you for your invitation, [unfortunately,...]" seems more appropriate. (Maybe because since you aren't going, you want to make sure that they know that you really are happy that you were invited.)

I'd be happy to hear other people's thoughts on this, though.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote