View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #84
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
k2pdfopt and hanging indents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Willus,

Many thanks for your nifty program. I can now read pdf's from Google Books on my Kindle.

Some of the pdf files convert with uneven line breaks to the point that the converted file has almost twice the pages as the original. See the attached page in pdf.

I'm using the Windows 32 v. 1.41. I tried word wrapping without success.

Any help you can give I will appreciate.

Waldorf
Waldorf -- sorry for the late reply. You've found a case that k2pdfopt doesn't handle very well when wrapping text, namely, hanging indents. Ideally, k2pdfopt would detect that most of the lines are indented and correctly wrap the text, but it doesn't. I will add this to my list of possible features to implement in the future. The book also has several little comments in the margins, which k2 doesn't typically handle well. I've been thinking about ways I could handle those better. To get a better idea of how k2pdfopt is parsing your document, try the -sm option.

In the mean time, I would use -wrap- and -col 1 to turn off text wrapping and multicolumn detection, respectively (see the the third question/answer on my faq page). The only issue with doing that is that the resultant text might be too small for you.

Doing a quick google of Bryce's book, I found this page, which has it available in several formats. Some of them might be more suitable for mobile reading than the standard PDF.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote