View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
1) At the description!

2) I've been a CFL fan since I saw on Wide World of Sports (same day tape delay) the '62 Grey Cup (the Fog Bowl), and also noticed that many of the AFL's most exciting players were CFL alums.
Oddly enough, I became a big fan during the U.S. expansion era. I still have a few TV shirts from that era (Shreveport Pirates, Baltimore CFL Colts, etc.). But I first really became aware of the CFL when Doug Flutie played in B.C. There was a star who transcended his league as strongly as Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky did. Of course, I wasn't alive in '62, so I've only seen the Fog Bowl in highlights. Neat to run into a fan from down South.

The CFL, I believe, was the first league to have all of its regular season games broadcast on regular and/or cable television (ie. none reserved for pay per view). Heck, because of this the league uses the broadcast booth (in partnership with the CBC and TSN) for instant replays! Amazing to think that the 100th awarding of the Grey Cup is coming up (the Fog Bowl would have been the 50th, I guess?). The Super Bowl's the new kid on the block in comparison to that kind of history.

Now you've got me wondering if there are any e-books of CFL history, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. It's got a colourful history.

EDIT: I did find one, the story of Bob Ackles rising from BC Lions waterboy to BC Lions President/CEO (with stops in the NFL and XFL along the way).

Last edited by scrapking; 02-16-2012 at 08:53 PM.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote