View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjheiss View Post
I see. I'll try mounting mmc and see if it can get it to work there. Is there any way to update the busybox of the root partition, or would that mean having to recompile the whole OS? I'm sure that if it was that easy then it would've been done by now.
Not a good idea to replace the main partition busybox. Better to add another one on the USB Drive and execute that with a full path. The new shell (busybox or standalone optware bash) will have its own instrinsics (if any), but at least will use the search path. That way ipkg will call a wget that supports (or at least ignores) the passive-ftp flag.

Changes to files on the main partition will change their md5sum and can prevent future Kindle firmware updates.

Better to not touch the diags partition, and not change the main partition, and use only replacement files that are stored somewhere on the USB Drive (such as in a loop-mounted ext3 file that is on the USB Drive). The key to making this work was discovering that a new bash (or whatever) shell was needed to break out the the main partition busybox intrinsic limitations.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 10:23 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote