View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Regarding the Iliad:

I started reading the Leaf, Lang and Meyers translation of 1891, the one available as an epub at MR, and found it a difficult read. I also obtained the free translation by Alexander Pope from Kobo and found it somewhat better. I think I may stick with this one or perhaps I will obtain a copy of the Samuel Butler as well before coming coming to a decision.
I wouldn't want people to look for alternate translations here, if they need to go to PG or other sites.

I decided that it was worth it to me to get a modern version, to make this as easy as possible. I looked at e-options, but they were hard to identify. The Fagles edition seems to be available for Kindle, but it's not cheap. I ended up ordering a DTB from Amazon for a nominal sum, but I must admit that the resulting tome is potentially herniating.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote