View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
What I've read about Calibre Companion says it uses Calibre's content server function. As I said, I don't use the function in Calibre. Perhaps I've misunderstood what I've read about the app though? After re-reading your link I note that it says it *can* use the content server, not that it must do so. I'd give it a try if it were free. Or I'll pay for it if you can verify that it will do what I want, i.e. get Calibre's metadata without using the content server. Thanks. (A note to the developers if they happen to read this. I'm willing to pay for an app I'll continue using, but not willing to pay for one that I'm testing.)
I am one of the developers of calibre companion (CC), as well as of calibre.

You can use the wireless device driver, the content server, or both interchangably. You must use one of them to get books onto your device; which one is up to you. From your problem description you would want to use the wireless device driver, connecting to calibre and then managing the library on the device using calibre's device functions.

I cannot guarantee that it will do what you want, or that it does what you want in a way that you like. I can guarantee that it downloads calibre's metadata for books and makes that metadata available off-line. In addition, and as we say in the description on CC's Google Play page, we will give you a refund within some reasonable time (for example a week, not 6 months) if you aren't satisfied. There is no benefit to us in having an unhappy user. There is also no benefit to us in offering a function-reduced free version that will simply invite 1-star reviews for being function-reduced.

Do note that CC is not a reader app. Instead it uses the app(s) on your device for reading. CC works well with FBReader, Moon+, and (I think) Mantano. It works well with Cool Reader for epubs but not mobis (Cool Reader doesn't "advertise" on the device that it supports mobi). Aldiko works, but it seems to make another copy of the book instead of opening CC's copy directly. Kindle 4 Android is supported as best we can, but not as well as the others. I used FBReader until very recently, when I switched to Moon+. When I acquired another device I wanted to sync reading positions as I swapped between my devices, and Moon+ supports such syncing.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote