View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #52
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I did see the huge number of bootlegs cassettes that flooded Flea Markets and later bootlegs CDs - but never vinyl.

I am someone who was once half owner (financed a sibling into it) of a Music Store (seventies) and who has collected several thousand LPs over several decades - often from Flea Markets, thrift shops and classified ads - but have never been offered bootleg vinyl. Bootleg cassettes, and CD/DVDs yes, but never LPs. The production costs for a short run would kill any potential profit.

I am not disputing that they existed - out of China and Russia certainly, but they were so rare that a dedicated collector like myself has never seen one.
Production costs for cutting LPs back in the seventies were probably comparable to production costs for CDs today. Possibly even lower for short runs, as there were a large number of cutting plants around, both large and small, while today CD production mainly takes place in huge plants which very much prefer very large orders.

Anyway, and like others have pointed out, there were a lot of bootleg LPs about back in the day. I probably have thirty five or forty myself.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote