View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #35
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
an em dash is treated differently.
It shouldn't be. It's punctuation just like any other, and should always "glue" to the previous characters.

I've never seen a typeset book (where things like line breaks are manually controlled) where an em-dash immediately preceded by a letter starts a line, with the letter on the previous line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I am currently without a reading device, and using ADE on PC, and I see ending punctuation and quotation marks splitting off to the next line very very often. Especially quote marks.
If there is no space before the character that drops to the next line, then, yeah, that's horribly broken.

Assuming no automatic hyphenation using a dictionary, white space is the only place a line should break in HTML. If a break has to be forced because there just isn't any white space (or no white space near enough to allow reasonably sized spaces in justified text), then breaking after a punctuation mark and before a non punctuation mark is the only choice that matches the style of nearly 100 years of typesetting.

My problem is that I read with a renderer that follow line break rules strictly, and won't break after punctuation that often has no spaces around it (em- and en-dashes, ellipsis, etc.), so I get some very weird spacing on justified lines with at lot of those characters. My solution is to put a thin space (&thinsp after those kind of marks. It is almost not visible, but allows breaking where it should happen.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote