View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Newer versions of Firefox do automatic ligature substitution with opentype fonts. I'll check how it handles it, but I'm fairly sure it does it properly, or I'd have noticed by now.
Do you mean "properly", as the CSS spec says (no ligatures in spaced-out text), or as Germans like their texts (keep ligatures anyway)? My point is that maybe the letter-spacing is not the typographically optimal option, maybe it is better to substitute it by italics or similar...

It just occurred to me trying with a <span> around every letter (or ligature), and styling this span with left and right margins... that should work pretty much everywhere, I don't think the <span>s add breakpoints or disturb text searching. This, of course, is only worth doing if there are just a few instances of spaced-out text.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote