View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I read that article.. on my Kindle. :P

Seriously though, I take issue with a couple of things that the author of that article mentions. After spending several months with the digital version of the NY Times on my K2 I can say honestly it's a much better experience all around, with the only exception being that I can't share the paper with my wife on Sunday mornings.

His issues with navigation seem overblown. For instance, his chief complaint seems to revolve around the formatting of the headlines; "The only way to know if a story merits your attention is to click on it." How about reading the headline to see if the story interests you? Did you ever think to do that?

I certainly don't find myself reading the newspaper like a book as he says, feeling like I need to finish an article because browsing to another one is too much trouble. I would admit that I do find my self reading more of the news though, and that I read it more deeply in the same amount of time. To me, that's an advantage.

His other complaint is about the fact that the newspaper only updates once a day. Once again, I see this as a benefit. The entire online news cycle is far too rushed - it's gone from articles to blog entries to headlines to tweets, for chrissake. If I wanted to read the absolutely latest headlines, I would read them online. But what I use the Kindle for is reading the news, not just what's newest. I read the New York Times for the depth of the articles and the comprehensive reporting. That stands in stark contrast to the kind of zero-attention-span culture that constantly hits refresh on the Huffington Post home page (actually that site refreshes itself - how crazy is that?). I don't want to be constantly updating, and I want to be able to return to the same paper in the afternoon that I was reading in the morning in case I don't get through all the articles I want. Would I absolutely reject a return to the "evening edition" model? No, probably not. But I probably wouldn't read it.

In short I think reading the paper on the Kindle rather than in print is so much better for so many reasons, it easily makes up for the small issues of the Kindle.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote