View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #57
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftingGrandma View Post
As I have already been adding tags to the books to kind of create my own libraries. I have a tag with each of my grand kids names and library. Example - Jenny's Library

Before the virtual library feature I would just search the tags and put in Jenny's Library and then save the search. It would only show her library and then if I wanted to search in their library for a book within it, I would just leave the Jenny's Library part and type after it.

How does the virtual library differ from this? Is there more I can do in a virtual library that I can not doing this method? I still feel I don't fully understand the virtual library.
To add to what has already been said above ...

If you use the saved search for Jenny's Library, then as you say, you see the books matched by that search (I am avoiding the term Virtual Library on purpose). There is also something in the search box, specifically the search for Jenny's Library. So far so good.

Now you want to search for Science or Dinosaur books in Jenny's Library. How do you do that? If you change the search to Science, you see all the Science books, not just the one in Jenny's Library, which isn't what you want. You can't click on Science in the tag browser because it will replace the search. To solve this problem using searches you must "add" the Science search term in the search box. OK, now you want books by Sagan in Jenny's Library. You must erase the added Science search term and add the Sagan one. This is a bother.

Virtual libraries remove the bother. When you use a virtual library, the search box is empty. As DoctorOhh mentioned, the tag browser shows only the items that are in the VL, so you can see at a glance if there are any Science books in the VL and you can click on Science to find the right books in the VL.
Quote:
When I saw the feature of virtual libraries, as I explained above I was excited because I thought I could create one for each of the tags, Then delete the tags.

I want to delete the tags for 2 reason, I don't like them being sent over as collections on my sony reader and when I'm doing a search sometimes books show up because of the words in the tag when I wouldn't want them there. Like I would look for a book that had the name Jenny in it, when I do the search the books with jenny in it show up, but so do every other book that is in Jenny's Library.
I am with BetterRed on this. I would not put VL names into the tags because conceptually they are different things (for me). I use tags to describe characteristics of the content of book, not characteristics of how I organize the books. The VLs of which the book is a member is an organizational characteristic, as are things like "Do I want to read it?" or "When did I read it?" or "Where did I obtain it?". I would create a new tags-like column that is used for VL control, and that is all it is used for.

Another advantage of using a new column: you must do something special to make the names appear as collections on your Sony. By default they won't be there, avoiding the problems you describe. That said, I would go a bit further and make a column that lists the collections a book should be in, for the same reason that I wouldn't put "Read" into a tag. The collections are only peripherally related to the content of the book, but are strongly related to how I want to organize the books. Back when I used my Sony 300 as my main reader I built collections from "Series" and a "Collections" column. Never "Tags".

Last edited by chaley; 08-24-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Some clarification (I hope) of use of other columns
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote