View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Hi all!

I really like the Kobo app on my iphone although it does not have highlighting & notation as yet. My concern is that this is a new site and one must worry about what would happen if it fails to compete with the established AMAZON, SONY and B&N competition? Would our book purchases suddenly vanish from our readers/computers?
Hi Peitsao,
We understand that concern, and though I know Kobo will be around for a very long time, we offer the ability to download Adobe DRM books from us that are independent of our service - if we were to ever close shop (perish the thought!) you could still use those books.

Our next versions of our iPhone all will be completely independent of our service as well, and will continue to work without support for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post

The other question I have for those of you trying out the reader is the bluetooth hookup. My cell service charges extra per month if you use your cell phone as a modem for another device, so does the reader count as an extra device or does it use the cell's internet connection directly via BT? I would prefer wifi & hope they add wifi to the American version (am I dreaming?).

Pei
The Bluetooth synching doesn't work by having the device talk to the server directly - it talks to the Kobo app on your smartphone, which has already downloaded your content. It never uses the device as a modem or incurs any more charge than just using your device to download the book locally.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote