View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #34
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What would you recommend?
short answer: XO-4 Touch (it's hard to acquire though)

long answer:

Look for a tablet or laptop on the used market that has a broken screen, and order a pixel qi diy kit to replace it, then install a FOSS OS on it.

There are some tablets and laptops on the market that include a pixel qi screen from the factory, but they all involve a licensed installation of the worlds poorest quality OS, so I don't recommend them.

Exceptionally, the X0-1 has a dual-mode screen and comes with a decent OS (Fedora) -- these are sold on eBay. The X0-4 Touch is the latest model, but it's not generally available to the general public now that the one-laptop-per-child program has discontinued the "give one get one" option. There are ways though, if you volunteer for an OLPC-based project, or know someone who does.

The XO Tablet may be a good option (Anyone can buy one for ~$130). I would be a bit cautious though, because it has Android. I cannot generally recommend it ATM, because the Android ecosystem has copious binary blobs and Android culture supports a kind of jailed system with apps that cannot be removed. I don't know the particulars of the XO Tablet though.. it could be all FOSS, and rooted from the factory for all I know. Something to investigate..

There is also Yotaphone, but probably too small for PDFs, and I'm almost certain it's a jailed Android that depends on binary blobs.

Last edited by Sgt.Stubby; 01-03-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote