View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Looking good so far - Been watching the commits, some very nifty options and changes. Well done guys

My useless comments so far:
  • Back button - perhaps move to the view toolbar?
  • Insert anchor/link - these look like they should be in the insert toolbar?
  • Regex options in the search menu - perhaps bump this up to under search/replace (in the group?). Seems strange at the bottom.
  • Tools menu - Move 'check for well formed errors' into the same group as spellcheck?
  • Tools menu - Move metadata editor to the ToC/index group?
  • Search menu - 'Go to line', does it need to be in its own group?
  • Case modifiers - 'Propercase' sounds a bit strange - while it's not really title case, most editors call it title case.
  • Preferences - 'Clean Source' - does it needs its own pane? Seems a bit odd, but nothing wrong if it'll stay there in the long term.
  • Clips - Yup, more semantics! Most editors call these snippets, which to me makes a lot more sense and does not confuse with clipboard management stuff, which is fairly common (and something I will never understand).
  • Search editor - 'Search preset editor'? or something similar. I love semantics, it's true.

Relating to icons. I am offering to do this work (in rasters) if it helps!:
  • Insert anchor - The flag kinda makes sense, but anchors make more sense
  • Insert character - The omega isn't bad, but for desktop stuff isn't the accented 'a' icon more common?
  • General comment on all the insert icons - They could do with a more uniform look, with a little + or something?
  • Case modifier icons - They don't really make sense.
  • Add existing files - Makes sense but looks kinda odd.
  • Metadata editor - A bit meh, maybe put the info 'i' over a book?
  • Chapter break/marker - could do with new icons which offer a suggestion to the functions.

But yeah - all in all a real improvement, haven't got round to functionality, but it's getting rather powerful!

PS. Save split view and you guys will be heroes forevaaaah.

Edit : also, as posted above, everything about this is now fast. I'm not a person to care about load times or anything, but sigil opens faster than foobar... freakishly fast. I actually didn't see it load and launched a second copy because there was no launch feedback.

Last edited by Serpentine; 09-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.