View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Replaced my 500 with the 505 (NOW WITH UTUBE VIDEO ON PAGE 3)

Well it came today and having both devices, I quickly went to a side by side comparison.

Firstly the Screen... The 505 wins here. It is much whiter and feels cleaner and easier to read because of it.
My 500 is only 6 months old, so should not have suffered from the ageing that old machines have reportedly had.

The Controls... having those page turn buttons on the left of the 500 really bugged my so I am very pleased with the new layout.

Refresh Rate... I could see absolutely no difference in time between page turns. The 505 treats the refresh differently to the 500, but it still seems to take as long.

Bookmarking... No blue light anymore, and it takes the same time to bookmark and un-bookmark

The Cover... No more crappy connector on the back YEAH! Maybe this means I do not have to buy 4 cases to find one that fits straight! The Case fits on a center spine connected at the top and botom of the reader. This is much better as there is no fears of cracking that screen when you put the cover on.
The cover itself is nice (I like the contrast ofthe white stitching on the blue cover), but I will no doubt get the leather one when available.

Memory Card Slots... Two separate ones on the top of the machine, not as neat as the 500 and navigating books still takes a while longer if there is a card containing any data present

The Box Contents... No more AC adaptor. No biggie I guess.

The Software... No Issues, just loaded and resorted my books.

The Conclusion ... All in all I like the 505 better than the 500, but it is not the upgrade that I expected. The screen is superb, but I was really expecting something more noticeable around the screen refresh... I will definately need to sell the 500 to offset the twinges of buyers guilt that I am feeling for spending $320 (inc tax) on getting this.

Couple of additional comments...
The file handling is much improved, in terms of the new auto synchronization, in how stuff is stored on the data card and in finding books on the device.

I prefer the pad rather than joy stick...no more frustrations of trying to 'click' the joy stick in without accidently pushing it Up or Down.

No more buttons on the left edge of the device anymore, so switching on and off is longer as natural as it was on the 500.

It is sooo thin. Those few mm really make a difference!

Last edited by boca; 10-06-2007 at 08:37 AM.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote