View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks for the video, AprilHare ! in case anyone is wondering, that is a report from the channel 3 news about a very interesting initiative in the municipal library of Issy-les-Moulineaux (suburb of Paris), which is offering 16 liseuses available to borrow for 24 days, along with their catalogue of paper books. the idea is to heighten awareness of ebooks and liseuses (still relatively unknown in France), and hopefully promote reading to young people as well (who are among the public likely to be interested in borrowing a liseuse, along with people who read a lot already, people interested in new technology, and people who would like to test a liseuse before buying their own).
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it's from january 2010. there was an inauguration celebration for this new service at that time. we had a discussion about it in the french forum. you must be thinking of something else, this is relatively recent.
You are quite welcome, Zelda
Fascinating! I wish Australian libraries would do something like this lending out of liseuses, but I guess they reckon ex-convicts need audio books more..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I think that is a brilliant idea but frankly do not understand why it was not obvious and done a lot more frequently everywhere. Almost no one in the U.S., to my knowledge, offers ebook reade....erm, liseuses for loan or rental to give them a try. You either have to know someone who let you try one or else just take the plunge and buy one. Why??
Cost of investment?
Ignorance of the technology?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was about two or three years ago, as I recall; a French library had launched an initiative to lend out e-book readers - they were CyBook Gen3's, if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find the thread.
The more libraries, the better..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote