View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I did wonder while I was reading it, how other members of the club would react to it. I enjoyed it very much. In many ways it seems a slight book - it's short, and not much happens in it.

Its delicacy reminded me of a spider web, and of course Violet Gamart was the spider lurking. Florence Green became the hapless fly caught in the Gamart web of intrigue and manipulation.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the countryside and of the people and animals which had learned to live with the ever-encroaching sea. I noted particularly the many references to birds throughout the book, something we also found in Malamud's The Natural.

It was the first book I have read by Penelope Fitzgerald, and it certainly left me wanting to read more by her.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote