View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #71
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Size-wise, I actually prefer the Nexus 7 1280*800 for reading in portrait. Maybe if the 10" tablets get a significant weight reduction, I'd like them better. For double-page spreads, though, I agree that 4:3 works best. However, I'm not sure if a 7.9" display even with retina would be comfortable enough for reading comics in double-page landscape mode. 16:10 could still have been okay for landscape but the issue with new Android tablets with ICS/JB is you don't get access to the full 16:10 resolution because of the status and navigation bars. That said, Apple's closed system is quite stifling so I've actually been looking into Android tablets with 4:3 2048*1536 displays. Right now, that's mostly China tabs but Archos is releasing a dual-core 9.7" Titanium HD and has announced a quad-core 9.7" Platinum HD. I don't think performance of either is quite up to snuff just yet but I give it a year or so and I expect we'll see inexpensive chipsets capable of driving FullHD or retina display resolution.

I find the iPad Mini very interesting primarily due to its weight. If Apple manages to maintain weight and battery life with a retina display version, it's a maybe leaning strongly towards yes.
I have a 10.1" 1920x1200 tablet and it works much better for my eyes than a 7" model regardless of resolution. A 7" ends up providing 47% of a North American comics page and my almost 50-year-old eyes have trouble with the half-size lettering regardless of how sharp it is.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote