View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
I know if I read a book I enjoy I'll actively hunt down other work by the author
Well, I'm talking about the common genre trick wherein you get to the end of the first book and realise that the narrative is completely unfinished and you'll need to shell out for the rest to reach any sort of closure. OTOH, while you may read The Sea, The Sea and think that Iris Murdoch was pretty good author, there won't be a pressing need to run out and buy the rest of her oeuvre in order to find out whether Charles Arrowby manages to confront his self-destructive narcissism.

I've certainly found myself buying books just to find out what happens several times, though with age I've grown less tolerant of that sort of sly machination.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote