View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
New Sony Reader light accessory introduced

Sony has now added a battery powered light accessory for the Sony Reader. Price is set at $14.95. The light is made by Great Point Light, and appears to be equivalent to the black version of this model (GP-02), which shows a price of only $9.99.

Correction: The equivalent light is model GP-02-1164, which is also $14.95 at BiggerAndBetter. It features a different texture for better protection and coloring that matches the Sony Reader.

The 2-LED light is Sony model PRSLIGHT01, and has a flexible neck which is important in order to properly position for coverage and minimum glare. I can confirm that light positioning is important after using a Z-light purchased at Borders. That light works well, but I do find myself desiring more flexibility in light placement.

The product description from Sony states "Say goodbye to strained eyes and hello to the PRSLIGHT01 Flex-Neck 2 LED light. The PRSLIGHT01 is ideal for the Portable Reader, notebook computers, books and just about anywhere you need extra light. Featuring a flexible metal neck and a strong soft-touch clip, this light can grip to most surfaces and bend to precise positions for all your needs. For added convenience, the head of the Flex-Neck fits into the clip and stows easily for travel. Two bright LED lights illuminate a large area, making tasks more enjoyable. Replaceable CR2032 lithium batteries are included and provide up to 20 hours of bright light."

Features:
* 20 Hours of Bright Light with included CR2032 lithium batteries
* Two LEDs
* Flex-Neck Design

The Sony Style site also indicates that the light is "in the process of being shipped to our retail partners. Please visit sonystyle.com or a Sony Style store near you to pre-order or purchase this product now." However, it's not clear if this is a default web page artifact at the store, or an indication that it will show up in non-Sony retail outlets.

The store also gives some "remarkable" extended warranty offers for this $15 light! These rates are obviously standard tier pricing, and it doesn't make much sense for this product:
* Standard Limited Warranty [$0]
* 2 Year Replacement Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling [$17.99]
* 3 Year Replacement Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling [$24.99]
* 2 Year Replacement Plan [$10.99]
* 3 Year Replacement Plan [$14.99]

While I wouldn't recommend the extended warranties, this looks like a nice option for a Sony Reader light. If you want to save a few dollars, you might consider checking out the Bigger And Better link above, but we do not yet have any confirmation that the products are equivalent. As indicated above, the cheaper light is not equivalent.

Thanks to Xtremegene for finding the accessory at the Sony Style site, and Karen for pointing out the product equivalencies! (Btw, the product mismatch in my original post was my error, not Karen's.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote