View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I found Brigid to be flatly unbelievable, for two reasons. The first, is that based on her initial interview with Sam, she was supposed to be 21 years old. Yeah, she’s a liar, but she couldn’t have been that much older without it raising an issue from the start. At 21, she couldn’t possibly have the smarts and the appeal to travel the world and take every man she met into her her web.

And second, yes, some women are mantraps. But I don’t think that mantraps appeal to women very much; they see through it, or resent it, or both. Yet both Effie and Rhea thought she was the bee’s knees as well as the men.
Where did you get 21? I didn't notice it when I read, and can't find it now. - never mind, I found it: says she is five years older than 17 - so 22. I know Wilmer was "an undersized youth of twenty or twenty-one" because we are told twice. I know I assumed she was older than that.

It's not the man-trap thing that attracted me to the character but her brazen lying and moving from one lie to the next without blinking - it made her (at least potentially) rather more interesting than those fawning over Spade. I agree that Effie's reactions to her were far from convincing, but then Effie's (and Iva's) reactions to everything were far from convincing.

Last edited by gmw; 03-15-2020 at 06:53 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote