View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #84
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I really like Down the Rabbit Hole but as you noted it is just calling for a fantasy or science fiction nomination which I know is not your preference. I'm not sure if I would nominate something like that or if I would go for some form of microhistory that delves deep into one specific thing.
I've resigned myself to the fact that all roads lead to science fiction with all you science fiction fans. As was noted, Translations gave us Ursula Le Guin, so nothing is safe! And I think there are other options for this category, like conspiracies and twisty thrillers, which I do like.

Quote:
Of the three, Revolution would be my second choice, I like it and think we could get a good variety of books nominated with it.

I'm not fond of "You've Got to be Carefully Taught" personally. It is a great idea and the controversy around the whole South Pacific production is very interesting but unless you know about that or dig into the song it isn't obvious what the intention is.
Well, the suggested theme wasn't about the song per se, but an expansion of the earlier School Days theme--education/teaching of all kinds in school and out; the song itself is about teaching hatred, but the use of the title isn't meant to limit the theme.

I don't have any specific books in mind that I would nominate for any of these; I just like them because they seem broad enough to play with.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote