View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 05:17 AM   #1
Iseabel
Iseabel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Choosing between Onyx Boox Poke Pro/Nova Pro or other

I hope that I post this in the right place, and that it's okay to ask for advice here.

I'm a happy user of Kobo Glo HD, however for some time now I've been thinking about getting an e-reader that would allow me to also read e-books from various subscriptions. I'm not too technically savvy, so I would like to buy an e-reader that would allow me to install reading applications easily. I would like to be able to use applications such as Kindle, Bookmate, Hoopla, so I'm thinking anything with Android 6.0 should be the best option (sadly, Bookmate only works on Android 5.0 and up).

After doing some research, I found that Onyx Boox might be the best choice for me, however I have trouble choosing the best device.

The ereader that has all that I need is Onyx Boox Poke Pro, however it's no longer available in my country (I even tried writing to the distributor, but with no luck). I could buy it from a shop abroad, but I'm quite worried about possible trouble with warranty/sending back my e-reader if anything happens, and how that would be done.

The only devices that are still available here are Onyx Boox Poke, and the more expensive ones. So I was wondering, to anyone who has experience with Onyx e-readers, do you think it would be better to get a more advanced device, such as Nova Pro or does Onyx support their older e-readers even after they're withdrawn from the shops?

I'm having a really hard time deciding what to choose, because on one hand I could buy Nova Pro easily from our local shops and not worry about warranty, but I think the e-reader might be too fancy for me, as I only need it for reading. But then I'm not sure if when I buy the Poke Pro, how much longer will it be supported by the company.

I'd be very grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thank you.
Iseabel is offline   Reply With Quote