Thread: PNG in KF8 yet?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 04:43 PM   #153
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Most customers will receive your book from Amazon in KFX format. And so far Amazon's generation of KFX converts SVG images into rasterized JPEG, sometimes poorly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I thought kf8.p/azw3 books did support svg (without any rasterization needed). Kindlegen will properly create and store them and Kindleunpack will certainly unpack the svg from a .azw3 and the result will work in the resulting epub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Right, amazon has and uses tools to do the right thing, yet they go out of their way to convert and otherwise degrade images, as discussed the past few weeks in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
But how do you degrade an svg? It is a vector format and not rasterized.
By rasterizing to JPEG as jhowell reported in post #137 of this thread and elsewhere over the years that for KFX books amazon rasterizes SVG to JPEG, sometimes poorly. I don't know what they do with SVG images for azw3. I have seen EPUB books form kobo.com and ebooks.com with PNG images that are GIF or JPEG-XR in azw3 from amazon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote