View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I had a quick read of the first chapter of The Summer Tree. A shockingly poor first impression, the main characters are so poorly drawn, if at all. It does get better than this right?
I think it gets better—I agree, it starts out very weak. But even after improving ... Fionavar doesn't rank up there with my favorite Kay works (though I still enjoyed it). I find it fun to uncover the Fionavar connections in all the other books he's written since, though.

I'd offer up:
The Expanse series by James SA Corey (pseudonym for the writing team of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). Four books and counting but the first three represent a relatively complete arc.

Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God series.
(the omnibus version has a reworked ending that expands on what many thought was a "rushed" ending originally--though I had no beef with the original)

Greg Keyes's Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series.

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon

The Spin Trilogy by Chris Moriarty

Brian Ruckley's Godless World

Charles Stross's Singularity duology

Ian Tregillis's Milkweed Triptych

The Eternal Sky Trilogy by Elizabeth Bear

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2015 at 10:07 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote