View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Yeah .. the subject says it all.

Can one present a book to a publisher before said book is finished? Or would it be much better to finish the book before?

It's just that said book would oh-so-well fit into a current hype (actually .. it's contradicting said hype) and I really need an excuse to spend my time finishing it ..
It depends upon the author.

Established authors routinely sell books based on an outline and sample chapters. They complete the book and turn in a finished manuscript if they get a contract and advance from the publisher.

New authors almost always sell a book based on a complete manuscript. A publisher is less likely to buy based on a proposal because they have no proof the author can complete the book.

If you know a publisher you think might be interested, you can query them as to whether such a work would be of interest, but unless you are an established author with a track record, I wouldn't expect more than "No, it's not something we'd be interested in" or "It's the sort of thing we do. Send along the manuscript when you've finished it and we'll have a look."
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote